Cardano node crashed. succesfully restored. but ADA all gone

I have yet to see anyone loose ADA from a bug in a wallet but I can cite several examples of hacked or imploded exchanges.

4 Likes

Not your key, not your ADA. If you send it to an exchange you will not have the key. Their key, their ADA.

Your ADA is completely safe on the blockchain, as long as you have your key as you have seen.

Get a ledger. Make three copies of the recovery phrase. At least one in the safe deposit box. Engrave it on metal, whatever.

Paper wallet’s are another option, basically just another way to secure your private key.

Good Luck!

6 Likes

I suppose you have not lost any crypto to the likes of mtgox or cryptsy or several others that pioneers in this industry have seen go bottoms up, no exchange is safe to hold ADA on, especially with all respectable exchanges falling in line with their respective regulatory governments, those governments could pull the pin at any moment on an exchange and all your ADA could be locked up in court for years, if it’s not lost for good.
Use exchanges only to Aquire your ADA, then store it on the blockchain.

3 Likes

I suppose if you are dipping into a bunch of copy paste crypto’s that are not backed by science then ya for sure- you are dead on, buggy wallets will rip your investment out of your control, but if a wallet protocol goes down most likely if you hold that crypto on an exchange it will become a loss.

3 Likes

I have personally never had any trouble with the Daedalus full node wallet, other than it taking a long time to synch, however, if you’re having issues with the Daedalus wallet, we (the Cardano Community Team) suggest you to raise a support ticket with the IOHK Zendesk where some known issues can be easily resolved and where a team of experts is there to help you. :slightly_smiling_face:
Link >> https://iohk.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000877653-Daedalus-wallet

2 Likes

Yikes. Please don’t spread this misinformation.

Centralized exchanges are not as secure as local storage. Not your keys, not your coins.

Be sure to store your 12 seed words on paper and in a few different locations. Don’t download any wallet software from a non-trusted source.

People reporting problems losing their ADA are due 100% to user error. This thread is a perfect example! The OP was using the wrong seed words.

There are reports of exchange hacks nearly every month; and even if the exchange isn’t hacked, you’re trusting them not to run off with the coins you’ve put in their custody.

Look up QuadrigaCX if you think the above is overly cautious.

3 Likes

I am mostly dipping into bitcoin remakes (cardano included as etherium wannabe) .

Never had issue with exchanges this includes (bittrex) , coinbase and gemini will keep things there regardless of big issue : not your key/not your coin, about cardano wallets I read enough on this forum.

I loooooove paper wallets, and ADA’s Daedalus and Yoroi paper wallets are the best paper wallets!. so safe, so simple, so inexpensive. I would really want to memorize a word-phrase just to have an invisible wallet.

The big issue is that the exchanges can take your funds and even tell you that those were stolen. And if an exchange is hacked, they will not refund you. The internet is a dangerous “place”.
and Hey!, what’s that about Ethereum Wannabe, I think I understand (if you are referring to a smart contract and financial platform with unlimited scalability, total interoperability, developer friendly) but that’s not cool bro. just saying.

I will take my chance with gvt regulated exchanges and 2fa authentication. I don’t believe that in us they “steal your money and tell you something else” on exchanges which are state/govt regulated.

ETH wannabe means that cardano still (after 2 years) unperformed etherium in all possible ways from price growth, over dapps, towards business solution(s) , Libra and eth 2.0 will wipe Cardano off the map if things in Cardano keep going this (academic) way.

But I do understand your point. If i had few M USD worth coins (early eth buyers) I would definitely keep on hard wallet, but I have only ~10K usd ion 0 initial investment - could care less to be honest.

Likelihood of (reputable) exchange being hacked is still smaller than experiencing unfortunate event if I transfer responsibility of safeguarding units onto me.

If you consider that the likelihood of you loosing your keys is greater than an exchange being hacked or turn itself into a hoax, then you think the process of safely setting a wallet is harder than it really is. (setting a paper wallet or a Yoroi or Daedalus wallet is really simple and almost dumb proof).
Please give it a try and maybe can comment of how hard or easy you think it is from your perspective.

1 Like

Please name one Government Regulated Crypto Exchange. Coinbase? kind of I guess.
Exchanges are great places to keep your coins. Check out Mt Gox or perhaps QuadraCX is another good one.:clown_face: They would never “steal your money and tell you something else”.

2 Likes

Guys, the issue for which this post was created has long been solved, and the thread has deviated into something that is not the scope of this thread or group. Would appreciate if you could just create a new thread if you would like to discuss it further.

2 Likes

I suggest we continue commenting further on these threads: