Does This Accurately Symbolize Cardano?

Charles Hoskinson

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

We are trying to make Cardano cooler and less boring.

Sorry, please don’t!

Let’s face it, Cardano is seen as a bunch of computer nerds and geeky academics.

I resemble that comment!

3 Likes

Sorry, already on it.

After all I have learned about the banking system I am compelled to rise up against it.

1 Like

Sir, the fact you know Haskell makes you cool on my books. :sunglasses:

Agree with @erikd. Please don’t.

What is boring and what isn’t, lies in the eyes of the beholder, just like it would with a work of art: differences of taste and opinion. This is completely fine…however,…

Symbols related to anarchy and social unrest is not something I’d like to see used for/with Cardano or ADA, personally.
This project breathes science, R&D and logic. Exactly that which is needed to make some of the things these symbols stand for (and represent), a reality. This will take time.

I don’t mind anyone taking initiatives and trying to build something within this ecosystem, but let’s imagine for a little, when regular media and normies (I mean no offence) pick up on Cardano and find part of its community is associated with ‘anarchy’ (even though this might not be the intention that you have).

To be part of this movement (crypto, blockchain, fintech innovation) you are already participating in making the existing (legacy) systems more obsolete, and in the long run, perhaps even rendered useless.

Unfortunately, cryptomedia, as well as regular MSM, particularly focus on these sort of symbols:
Would you want another Chico Crypto YT channel, including others, that misrepresent everything Cardano and its ecosystem stands for? I certainly would not.

I’m not saying don’t take initiative, but think well before you spin-off ‘another’ group/faction/initiative, just for the sake of ‘I can!’ and ‘It’s decentralized!’.
Similar with Cardano’s protocols, the R&D and so on; this took years to develop and prepare, use that same meticulousness with any social projects, and start them with the utmost caution and care. We want more Cardano acceptance, not more rejection and aversion.

Just my two lovelaces.

8 Likes

I’m split with regards to the play on anarchy but your ending of ‘Just my two lovelaces.’
has given me the idea , why not just stamp the notes with

'Lovelaces the Future"

1 Like

i-told-you-were-an-anarcho-syndicalist-commune-we-take-it-in-turns-to-act-as-a-sort-of-executive-off

2 Likes

We have a different definition of what anarchism means, for me and @Zenman anarchy means Order without “Rulers” and in my perspective as a person living in a third world country where people have been raped by endless “government” rules and control, cryptocurrency is a way for us to gain our freedoms back.

You and most people commenting on this thread have a different idea of what Cardano is for and I respect that. You have your own idea of what helping 3rd world countries mean, but just keep in mind also that we see/experience/ think things differently. It is not one size fits all, even every 3rd world countries need are not the same. I think this TED talk --> Ernesto Sirolli: Want to help someone? succinctly describes my point.

There is a need for Adarchy in my opinion and by Adarchy I mean that we are governed by rules not by evil rulers. --> The Masterless People: Pirates, Maroons and the Struggle to Live Free

Just my 2 lovelaces. Peace!!!

4 Likes

There are “only” 328 Million in the U.S.. But U.S. citicens often seem to forget that there are 7.219 Million people outside the U.S. And they are the ones who are hungry for a better world (although the recent narrative in the U.S. is that everyone else is unfair to them…).

Cardano is not boring to the average people. The average people have no idea what Cardano is. And in my opinion this is a good thing as long as Cardano is not ready to deliver. The absence of hype and marketing is one thing that made Cardano very interesting to me. I would prefer to have the media doing the marketing when reporting about Cardano in one or two years.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I’m guilty too to have marketed Cardano already to my colleagues… :wink:

3 Likes

I fear that this anarchy campaign could do more harm then good…

2 Likes

Haha, I reposted it as I replied to Eric, but I wanted to comment in general and tag Eric instead. :wink:
Thanks for the kind words.

Exactly. This movement is implanting a powerful meme into the consciousness of the general American population. That meme is: ADA is the evolution of $.

I feel that the fiat monetary system is going to collapse. The whole system. This collapse is going to plunge the entire world into a depression of unprecedented scope and depth.

I see what we’re doing as a wake up call, a warning. This I see as a service to humanity.

I have always found it very interesting how many people talk about decentralization and at the same time want their favorite currency (this one brand) to be at the top of the lists.

How valuable and known can something be that not all recognize under the same brand and the same values? How about adoption? Do we use the same system and standards? If not who ensures that different standard don’t end in unequal and unfair behaviours?

Just some thoughts about a world where anyone define his own rules and rulers, by declaring anarchy as a solution. :wink:

BTW:
The symbol chosen by Cardano for ADA graphicaly corresponds to the Austral symbol temporarily used in Argentina about 30 years ago. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_austral )
This does not mean it is related somewhat to this country and his financial history, but it definitively has the benefit that the sign is already defined in unicode systems.
https://www.toptal.com/designers/htmlarrows/currency/austral-sign/

2 Likes

Um, I’ve heard Charles state that ADA will be between 50 and 100 times more decentralized than bitcoin or eos. So it’s decentralized.

Everyone using the Cardano economic system would all be in agreement that the rules set in place in the coding are the rules that all within the system are playing by. It’s it’s own system. A system of rules based upon the immutable and universal laws of mathematics more than people. And that’s a good thing.

I believe and hope so, especialy that not all stake pools end up to run at cheapiest plans in the same “amazing” cloud infrastructure :wink:
My initial phrase was more a general question, how the “dezentralisation” wish fit’s together with all those people watching the brands at the top lists. A strong, because well known and highly adopted brand in many point of views is the oposite of decentralization.

And don’t get me wrong: having common brands is useful to recognise this “system of rules … good thing”. Now think about how many question it will raise if the exactly same system many believe and trust because of the well thought R&D, appear with more or less different logos and appearances on exchanges and online shops? How do you recognise as end user the value in what you believe to believe in?

Let us not mix adoption into decentralization. A coin like Cardano can get mass adoption and be “at the top” as you say even while decentralized. Your argument about not all being the same amazon cloud servers I agree with however.

I see nothing wrong with zenman’s approach to target those who are fed up with the current banking system. But it should be done in a respectful way and with legal means so PR will not be negative. So for me it is more a debate on how than if it is a crowd that should be targeted. That does not exclude also targeting other crowds. I agree with targeting 3rd world economies as well.

2 Likes

First recognition, then education, then adoption. Then, hopefully, participation.

I agree
and ofc I didn’t mean any crypto currencies technical decentralization achievements or capability.
It’s more about: What if all start using the same thing/coin/brand? Can a [some coin] ‘maximalist’ really believe in decentralisation or does this happen only inside his bubble?

I personally don’t like confusing stuff like the suggested “adarchy” concept by using the existing ADA symbol. I personally like to exactly know and understand what the red light on street crosses does mean, as well as the acid symbol on dangerous bottles. And also what I can expect when entering a “restaurant” with the big M sign. In this case, I see sense, usefulness and use-case for centralized brands. People who feel the need for some anarchy should better look for their own alternatives, and not use existing brands. Why not start the own movement as “Batac” a mix of Bit, Ada, Coin and Attack … ?

Keep in mind: for me this topic is interesting but I don’t worry that much about. I trust in a rational result as long as people bring in and keep their opinion as what they are: single individuals. not a religion or party or similar.

For me, this is not a Cardano and even not a crypto-related question. I look for smart and reasoned answers on why so many people talk about independence and decentralization while switching from heavily decentralized Email systems to the extremely centralized messenger, twitter and telegram channels. And when they remain on email then migrate from globally and technically millions of mailservers to gmail and o365.

Is one (person who raises the voice against so much these days all around the globe) really aware of what they are effectively doing? Being against pesticides but buying fresh tomatoes in December at discounters and meat cheaper than pet meal? Protesting against child work in brand new T-Shirts bought for 7.99$ … using the own fingers mainly pointing towards others instead of recognising they belong to this one individual whose brain can best decide that this hands can do to contribute for a better world?

Claiming someone else is doing wrong is so easy and common because it put oneself in a relatively good position be defining the other one is wrong. In this illusory “good” position, there is no need to do or change anything. (ik, quite a bit OT now)

For me the :ada: symbol is perfectly fine to show the :cardano: values. The steps Cardano has to achieve to act as a swiss army knife protocol are literally nothing compared to what the big crowd formed out of so many individuals has to recognise and learn in the upcoming decades.

3 Likes