Help needed: Daedalus wallet pool address changing, unable to update pool registration

Hello everyone, I tried resuming an old topic some days ago with no luck, I must try again this way because I feel this could become another useful troubleshooting topic for someone else, and no clear literature on this can be found anywhere yet.

I created and registered my pool using a mnemonic Daedalus wallet (coincashew guide) and everything worked fine.

Then I made an outgoing transaction from pool’s Daedalus wallet. Then I tried to add a second relay to my pool and re-register but I was unable to proceed due to balance and utxo showing 0. I understood that this issue is due to Daedalus transactions changing the Daedalus wallet address. My pool keys and pledge are safe, and since Daedalus wallet is delegated to the pool, pledge is always met and the pool runs fine anyways, but I’ll be always unable to make any further changes!

I need just a little help to understand how to create a new pool certificate indicating new Daedalus address.

Old resumed unlucky topic with more info:

I’m desperately looking for any help, please!
Vig

U will need to send few ADA for transaction fee to the wallet address from cli

Please read this to understand why happened

Thank you so much Alex, I had found this pic already but was not so clear to apply…So I must only “keep” my original daedalus wallet address (now empty) funded with a bunch of ADA to pay for transaction fees from CLI now and then?

And so, if I keep original daedalus address funded and I make “pool related TXs” on CLI only and from that address only, can I use Daedalus anyway to make “general” tx to-from pool pledge’s wallet with no worries?
And what will I have to do in case of pledge amount?

So I must only “keep” my original daedalus wallet address (now empty) funded with a bunch of ADA to pay for transaction fees from CLI now and then?

Yes

And so, if I keep original daedalus address funded and I make “pool related TXs” on CLI only and from that address only, can I use Daedalus anyway to make “general” tx to-from pool pledge’s wallet with no worries?

I think everytime when u will perform transactions from daedalus wallet u will see 0 balance in cli; I am not sure but u can test; but this can be fixed easy by creating an intrawallet transaction

And what will I have to do in case of pledge amount?

For pledge should not be any problems because the stake key is per wallet not per address

Ok, this hypothesis looked weird to me because if i understood well this is what happened between daedalus and CLI.

• Pool wallet created with CLI mnemonic
  • Stake key created and registered using CLI
  • Pool wallet imported in daedalus through mnemonic
  • Pool address used to receive pledge funds

And if i’m following your clues correctly, you think there’s a chance that even if i send 10 ADA to my original address, the moment i’ll use CLI to resend pool certificate the same thing will happen, original address will be emptied and resulting balance transferred to a new address, right?

Just for full understanding, the three txs i made through CLI during pool registration (500+2+0.19) did not generate any new Daedalus address but are correctly shown in Daedalus, is this the focal point?

And if i had used CLI software wallet or a Hardware wallet, i would always have had an immutable address (enterprise address) to pledge to the pool and I woudn’t have been bothered in any case, i guess…

And if i’m following your clues correctly, you think there’s a chance that even if i send 10 ADA to my original address, the moment i’ll use CLI to resend pool certificate the same thing will happen, original address will be emptied and resulting balance transferred to a new address, right?
[/quote]

Nope, should not happen, all u have to do now is to try to send in daedalus few ada to the oldest/first address and then check in cli if u are able to see the funds; if yes then u can go
furture with the registration

PS: I will recommand to not register the 2nd relay… keep it private; this way ur pool will be fine in case of an attack. This is a good security practice

Yeah, now i got you! Addresses get emptied and regenerated only when making txs through daedalus; operating through CLI “original address” makes it “appearing” like an enterprise address (and this is what daedaus and address explorers are correctly showing).

Relay2 is already configured and synced and running correct connections to producer and relay1, it’s just not registered in the topology and will not be if i choose to keep it “private”. How do i popolate its inbound topology then? At the moment it has producer, relay1, initial iohk relays, connections out 4, in 2, processing tx correctly.

And basically, if i choose to keep relay2 private, i won’t need any new registration or fees to be payed from original address until pledge change, metadata updates or similar…so all of this would have NEVER been an issue!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Relay2 is already configured and synced and running correct connections to producer and relay1, it’s just not registered in the topology and will not be if i choose to keep it “private”. How do i popolate its inbound topology then? At the moment it has producer, relay1, initial iohk relays, connections out 4, in 2, processing tx correctly.

Same as Relay1, use topology updater script

And basically, if i choose to keep relay2 private, i won’t need any new registration or fees to be payed from original address until pledge change, metadata updates or similar…so all of this would have NEVER been an issue!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Exactly!

1 Like

Thank you so, so much for all clarifications!!! I’ll check everything works by moving ADA to original address and resend certificate to update metadata URL only (had to be done regardless of relay2 registration that i’m not doing anymore i believe) and i’ll come back to mark the solution asap!!!

1 Like

Intra-wallet Daedalus transfer worked, original address balance showing 6 ADA from CLI and wallet total balance has not changed apart from tx fees, perfect!

Metadata update and recertification not done yet cause private relay is working fine, i just noticed public relay1 peers 24/28, private relay2 25/16 and IPs are different, is that ok? And how is my relay2 found by other relays if it’s not in public topology.json?

1 Like

The relay should be present in main/public topology files but will not be shown on pooltool or adapools.org

Regarding the relays peers, yes it is fine

I agree, the fact is that i’m running both relays on LAN and dyndns. Topologyupdater is set on both relays by declaring dyndns hostname and correct open ports, custom_peers are local IPs and open ports, r2 was formally welcomed to the topology after 1st cron and always had “glad you’re staying with us” messages since.
But r2 is not in https://explorer.mainnet.cardano.org/relays/topology.json neither as dyndns hostname nor resolved IP.

Ah, I remembered , it will not appear in main topology file if u didn’t registered… so in this case if someone will want to attack your pool it will know only the relay1

But anyway, it was a sugestion from my side, u can anytime register the 2nd relay

I’m sorry to keep on bothering you, but next question comes straight away: how is my relay2 found by IN peers?

Do u have IN peers?
I think topology updater doing this, announcing your node to the other nodes

r1 out 23 in 31
r2 out 25 in 17
they’re steady on these values +/-2

1 Like

Then u are fine

1 Like

Yeah, it makes sense because topologyupdater doesn’t update IOG public file nor relaytopologypull fetches data from it, but to/from another db, and IOG “official” file includes registered relays only! So many thanks for everyting Alex!!

1 Like

You are welcome!