This is directly from IOHK:
Highlighting three points:
- Be careful about downloading and using software to avoid hacking
- Be careful about clicking on links/pictures with links in emails to avoid hacking
- Do not keep a record of your 12-word Daedalus wallet recovery phrase on your machine
…people do report instances of theft/hacking to us.
YOUR computer is not secure.
IF you are online your computer is infected.
The more activity you do online, email, or viewing this post means YOU ARE NOT SECURE.
Glacier is the step-by-step protocol for storing Bitcoins in a highly secure way, offline.
I know it is for Bitcoin users, Bitcoin has been around a long time, seen it all, this is one of the best ways to protect yourself. Read the steps taken in securing their Bitcoin; why go to such lengths? BECAUSE COMPUTERS ARE NOT SAFE.
Suggestion, get yourself a low-cost computer capable of running Daedalus, like a Udoo, no wi-fi or Bluetooth, and dedicate it to one thing, running Daedalus. Think of it like a strongbox for your Ada, put https://www.qubes-os.org on it for good measure.
Or believe your online surfing, emailing, wi-fi, Bluetooth computer is safe, it isn’t.
In closing IOHK has this to say:
- It’s your responsibility to become informed about the risks around using Ada, and stay up to date on those risks.
- IOHK is not going to return your Ada, we do not have them, you do, and only you can control them, no one else including IOHK has control of your Ada.
A lower cost dedicated computer suggestion is the Atomic Pi, around 35.00 USD:
You will need a power supply, keyboard and monitor (TV), for 35 it is a good deal.